Vehicle on Loan – owned by P. Tucker (click title to read more…)
Coaching on the Island for tourists who had returned after World war II, was enhanced by the delivery of Bedford OB coaches from 1947. Over the next 3 years a total of 16 were delivered new to Southern Vectis and 3 more were taken over from B. Groves Cowes in May, 1955. No. 216 (FDL676) was one of three delivered new in 1949.
The OB was the standard coach operated by most Island operators in post-war years but the 29 seat capacity was inadequate once larger Bedfords became available. SVOC extended their lives by converting them to OMO buses for use on town services or deeply rural operations. With most, this also involved fitting Perkins P6 diesel engines to replace the original petrol unit, however 216 retained its petrol engine until sold.
No 216 was repainted from cream to green during its last year of service but along with the others that retained their Bedford petrol engine, did not survive long, these becoming the first examples of the class to be withdrawn, the diesel converted OBs survived until 1963.
It was sold in 1957 via a dealer to Phillips of Chatteris and ran until 1979 when sold for preservation to the present owner. It has been brought from North Yorkshire and placed on loan to the Museum since 2004.
- Bedford OB , Chassis No. 87567
- Body: Duple Vista, No. 50039
- New – March 1949
- repainted into Tilling Green and Cream for bus work – 1956
- Withdrawn – October 1957
- Sold to Thurgood of Ware (dealer)– October 1957
- Sold to H.T.A. Phillips, (T/A Enterprise Safety Coaches) Chatteris – November 1957
- Withdrawn – September 1979
- Sold to P.A. & P.J. Tucker, Boroughbridge, for preservation – November 1979
- Long term loan to the Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum, repainted in Tilling cream & green – October 2004
- Non operational (awaiting mechanical attention)