The Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum has a varied collection of vintage Buses and Coaches on display within the Museum at Ryde, the majority which served a good proportion of their working lives operating on the Isle of Wight.
Our Museum owns a total of 17 vehicles, a Tow Truck, and Horse Drawn Stage Coach. Some are restored and in operating condition, others receiving attention by our team of restorers, whilst some are awaiting their turn for restoration.
These vehicles form the bulk of our collection but the display is supplemented by appropriate Buses and Coaches loaned from preservationists, this being further enhanced by vehicles which belong to our members, who maintain them for us and allow them to be displayed within the Museum. Currently the earliest ‘Motor Bus’ displayed dates from 1934, the newest being manufactured and delivered to its operator dating from 1993. Some vehicles are stored away from the museum and we try to rotate the display to provide a changing visitor experience.
The operational fleet of Museum vehicles, plus those on loan, require continual maintenance to retain their roadworthiness. This is done in the workshop area of our Museum by a team of volunteers, annual MOT testing, where applicable, being carried out by VOSA approved test centres.
For details of our collection, not all of which may be on display, can be found by following the sub menu’s in the ‘Vehicles’ section of this website, or by visiting the following:
- Bristol K5G / ECW – FLJ538
- Bedford SB / Duple – ODL400
- Bristol MW6G / ECW – PDL515
- Bedford SB / Duple – ADL459B
- Bristol FLF6G / ECW – CDL479C
- Bristol MW6G / ECW – FDL927D
- Bristol RESH / Duple Commander – KDL885F
- Bristol RELL / ECW – TDL563K
- Bedford YRQ / Plaxton – VDL264K
- Bristol VRT-SL3 / ECW – UDL673S
- Mecedes 508D / Robin Hood NDL 600W
- Leyland Leopard / ECW B51 – RDL309X
- Leyland Olympian / ECW – A700DDL
- Ford Transit Carlyle B259 MDL
- Dennis Dart / Duple – G526VYE
- Volvo B10B / Northern Counties – K125BUD (Shanklin Steamer)
- leyland Olympian / Northern Counties -K743 ODL
- Dennis Ace / Harrington – DL9015
- Renault TN4F – 136 NOU
- Bristol LD6G / ECW – SDL268
- Bristol VRT-SL2 / ECW – SDL638J