Civility c.1880 Stage Coach
Owned by – The Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum (click title to read more…)
New to the collection for 2017 is an 1880s Stage Coach which operated on the Isle of Wight.
The ‘four-in-hand’ horse-drawn coach, was built in the 1880s by the Richard Bird Cheverton carriage works at 48/50 Lugley Street, Newport, to the order of Albert Vanner. It could carry up to 16 passengers and was primarily purchased for use on a daily service between Ryde and Newport. The coach also provided a 3-day tour from Ryde on a circuit of the Island, allowing visits to Ventnor, Blackgang and Alum Bay, with overnight stops.
The coach was amongst the possessions belonging to the late Miss Audrey Russell (a descendant of the Vanner family), who bequeathed her estate, Stenbury Manor to English Heritage. English Heritage then gifted the coach to the Isle of Wight Bus and Coach Museum.
We also have a large amount of memorabilia associated with the coach and its operation.
Full details of this coach are found in our new booklet priced at £4.50 available from the Museum shop.